Although this disorder is highly treatable, 90% of those who discontinue medication have a recurrence within 18 months
Alcohol and other drug abuse
Without treatment, individuals with Bipolar Disorder are at risk for alcohol and drug abuse.
- 15% of those with Bipolar Disorder commit suicide
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death among adolescents and young adults aged 15 to 24.
- Never ignore signs of suicidal behavior or ideation, which include:
- drastic changes in eating habits, sleep patterns, or personality
- marked neglect of personal appearance; giving away personal belongings
- sudden happiness after a period of depressed mood
- talk of suicide or of “going away” or “not being a problem anymore.”
If you think your child or adolescent is suicidal, you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or 911
Don’t hesitate—the risk of suicide in children and adolescents is very real.